Sunday, February 26, 2012

Error Message When Connecting to SQl Server Data

I am using MSDE on XP pro Service Pack 2 and have stored my data on the
default instance of MSSQLSERVER on my computer ID OFFICEPC. This is
networked to LAPTOP and SHOPPC.
My Access front end works fine with the SQL back end on the OFFICEPC. But
when I try to link the same front end from one of the other computers using
ODBC, i get the following error:
Connection Failed:
SQL state 2800
SQL Server Error 18456
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed for user
'OFFICEPC\Guest'
I have run svrnetcn.exe and enabled port 1433 to pass through the firewall.
Ports 135 and 445 are also enabled.
What have I done wrong? Thanks in advance for any help
hi Gerald,
"Gerald G" <GeraldG@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:54F59F97-F083-4C93-B08A-4FCEA3429731@.microsoft.com
> I am using MSDE on XP pro Service Pack 2 and have stored my data on
> the default instance of MSSQLSERVER on my computer ID OFFICEPC. This
> is networked to LAPTOP and SHOPPC.
> My Access front end works fine with the SQL back end on the OFFICEPC.
> But when I try to link the same front end from one of the other
> computers using ODBC, i get the following error:
> Connection Failed:
> SQL state 2800
> SQL Server Error 18456
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed for user
> 'OFFICEPC\Guest'
> I have run svrnetcn.exe and enabled port 1433 to pass through the
> firewall. Ports 135 and 445 are also enabled.
> What have I done wrong? Thanks in advance for any help
it seems you do not have firewall troubles, but standard security problems,
as OFFICEPC\.. users are not granted login to MSDE instance... please verify
your Logins
can you telnet on port 1433 the MSDE instance?
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.9.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.55.1
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Hi Andrea - thanks for answering
I think you are right about it being a standard security problem. How do I
telnet on port 1433, and How do I grant login to my MSDE instance?
"Andrea Montanari" wrote:

> hi Gerald,
> "Gerald G" <GeraldG@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:54F59F97-F083-4C93-B08A-4FCEA3429731@.microsoft.com
> it seems you do not have firewall troubles, but standard security problems,
> as OFFICEPC\.. users are not granted login to MSDE instance... please verify
> your Logins
> can you telnet on port 1433 the MSDE instance?
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.9.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.55.1
> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
> interface)
> -- remove DMO to reply
>
|||hi Gerald
"Gerald G" <GeraldG@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:7CD6EC0F-53A4-4252-9228-A40089BE66FF@.microsoft.com
> Hi Andrea - thanks for answering
> I think you are right about it being a standard security problem.
> How do I telnet on port 1433, and How do I grant login to my MSDE
> instance?
>
in order to grant your 'OFFICEPC\xxxx' users, you have to add them to the
SQL Server Windows logins...
please have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...N-US;q325003#8 for
further info about granting login to Windows logins/groups
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.9.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.55.1
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment