Thursday, March 29, 2012

Error restoring sql backup

Hi All,
I was trying to restore a sql server backup in a Windows 2000 Advanced
Server cluster running SQL Server Enterprise Edition Service Pack 3, in two
nodes.
I have restored successfully some databases, buy I can not restore two
databases. I have obtained the error bellow:
Error 3241 Severity 16 State 1
The media family on device 'f:\backupsql\file.bak' is incorrectly formed.
SQL Server cannot process this media family.
I have tried the Microsoft Article Q297104, but the error continues.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance,
Guillermo Roldan
SpainHi
I am not sure what is happening here, but if the KB article is not working,
and you have used the trace flag correctly, then you may want to try some of
the following:
viewing the header only,
restoring the backup onto a different machine,
check the cluster resources allow access to this drive and the files
destination of the MDF and LDF are available.
John
"Guillermo Roldan" <GuillermoRoldan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D840177A-3E92-4FB3-B3A9-60656A195E3A@.microsoft.com...
> Hi All,
> I was trying to restore a sql server backup in a Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server cluster running SQL Server Enterprise Edition Service Pack 3, in
> two
> nodes.
> I have restored successfully some databases, buy I can not restore two
> databases. I have obtained the error bellow:
> Error 3241 Severity 16 State 1
> The media family on device 'f:\backupsql\file.bak' is incorrectly formed.
> SQL Server cannot process this media family.
> I have tried the Microsoft Article Q297104, but the error continues.
> Can anybody help me?
> Thanks in advance,
> Guillermo Roldan
> Spain
>|||Hi John,
I have tried to execute RESTORE HEADERONLY, resulting in an ***INCOMPLETE***
message. I do not understand, because I have checked maintenance plan every
day, and backups was OK. Now, there are only two backups, and there are
incomplete.
It is possible to recover an incomplete backup? There is a full database
backup, with no transactional log backups.
I would like to try the MSSQLRecovery tool on Monday…
Thanks for your answer, John
Guillermo Roldan
Spain
"John Bell" escribió:

> Hi
> I am not sure what is happening here, but if the KB article is not working
,
> and you have used the trace flag correctly, then you may want to try some
of
> the following:
> viewing the header only,
> restoring the backup onto a different machine,
> check the cluster resources allow access to this drive and the files
> destination of the MDF and LDF are available.
> John
> "Guillermo Roldan" <GuillermoRoldan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D840177A-3E92-4FB3-B3A9-60656A195E3A@.microsoft.com...
>
>|||Hi
I can only think that it may be disc corruption, although I would have
expected you to have other things to indicate such a failure. If you
have a backup elsewhere you may want to try that, if not a call to PSS
may required.
John|||Hi John,
I have discover why it is an Incomplete backup. The tape-robot was offline
since 22/11/2005 because a hardware problem, so somebody copy the sql server
backup files to a Novell Netware share. This is the problem: This Novell
Netware share has a limit of 4.194.304 KB. But the real backup was about
8,5GB !!
Finally, i can restore a new backup from tape. This new backup it's older
(18/11/2005), but it run sucesfully !
Thanks John, for your answers
Guillermo Roldan
"John Bell" wrote:

> Hi
> I can only think that it may be disc corruption, although I would have
> expected you to have other things to indicate such a failure. If you
> have a backup elsewhere you may want to try that, if not a call to PSS
> may required.
> John
>

No comments:

Post a Comment